March 6, 2016

"Me Before You" Review


15507958

Book: Me Before You

Author: Jojo Meyes

My Rating: ★★★ 1/2

Synopsis: Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick.

What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane.

Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that.

What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time. 

      I'm going to be completely honest. The only reason why I picked up this book was because I saw the trailer and the trailer made me have feels. Me being me, I was like "Well damn, now I have to read the book because I want to watch the movie." So, I walked my happy ass around the corner to my college's bookstore and bought the book with the highest of expectations. This book has such a high rating on Goodreads and everyone was like "it's going to make you cry". Me being the soulless person I am, I was like "bring it on".



      Needless to say, I was disappointed. This book did not give me any feels. I didn't feel like shipping Louisa and Will. Frankly, Louisa annoyed the hell out of me. She was sooooo dumb. There were times were I wished I could pop into the book and strangle her. Then Will, I mean frankly, there was nothing particularly special about him and as awful as it sounds, I would have just let him commit medical suicide whenever the hell he wanted. He clearly was having a shit time, and it is his choice to do what he whatever the hell he wants to do.



      The writing wasn't really that special to me either. It felt very typical of a romance novel. And the plot, well everything could be seen a mile away. Maybe I'm just hard to impress and contemporary just isn't doing it for me anymore. But this book didn't blow me away. Nothing particularly good start happening until about 60% in the book, but even then, I was bored. The ending was the only part where I got a lil' emotional, even then it wasn't nearly as much emotion as it could have been.



      To be frank, I think the only reason why a lot of people love this book is because of the hype. I bought into the hype when I damn well shouldn't have. Needless to say, I'm still going to watch the movie. I hope the movie is better than the book, as sad as that sounds.



Join the conversation!

  1. Damn, this seems serious if you hope the movie was better than the book lol! I don't know about this book. It seems cute, but you're right, it doesn't seem like anything special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah. It feels like something that could be good as a movie, but as a book it really lacks anything special.

      Delete
  2. Ah I'm so sad you didn't like it. I haven't read it yet but I am hoping I still enjoy it... I usually am not as affected by books people say made them "sob" so that's why I'm worried! Great review!

    http://novelsandnecklaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. :( I'm so sad you didn't like this more Sierra! I really enjoyed Me Before You - thought it was unputdownable, and thought that Louisa was supposed to be that daft, to add a quirkiness to her character :S
    Oh well - hopefully the movie is better than the book for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it way more than me! I know she was supposed to be like to add to her character, but it still annoyed me. That's just not the type of person I can typically handle.

      Delete
  4. Never read this - not my sort of thing, really (too few explosions, gunshots, vampires, etc.) Sorry you didn't enjoy it though - that's *always* a gutting feeling. On the plus side, you came up with this gem of writing: 'So, I walked my happy ass around the corner to my college's bookstore' which is going to make me smile all day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah definitely lacking on all of those fronts. Well I'm glad I could make you smile. :D

      Delete
  5. Noooooo omg this is one of my favorite books of all time!! I can't believe you didn't like it!! I do think that its going to make a really good movie, so hopefully you like the movie version better. I mean, Sam Claflin is in it, so... xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know, don't stone me. XD Sam Claflin though... *faints*

      Delete

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".