June 11, 2015

"Break Your Heart" Review


22891496

Book: Break Your Heart

Author: Rhonda Helms

Format: ARC

Page Count: (Final Paperback) 240

Publisher: Kensington

My Rating: ★★1/2

Synopsis: Fearless and flirtatious, Megan Porter isn't your typical math major. On the fast track to graduating with honors, a spot in her school's masters program is nearly guaranteed. But her senior year is quickly turned upside-down by her new thesis advisor, cryptography professor Dr. Nick Muramoto. Young, effortlessly good-looking, and intellectual, he's far more intriguing than the immature jocks Megan usually goes for. And as she decodes the hidden messages he leaves in the margins of her assignments and in their emails, she realizes this might be more than a schoolgirl crush--especially after they share a passionate kiss...

Soon Nick and Megan grow closer, and their different worlds begin to merge. But if their relationship is discovered, Nick's career could be over. With Megan's parents close to campus on business, hiding their love becomes an even greater challenge. Yet keeping secrets will lead Megan to discover hers is just one piece in a much larger puzzle--next to her mother's stash of painkillers--that may put her carefully laid plans for the future in jeopardy.

      I will start this review by simply stating the facts: I did not like this book. I didn't hate it. I didn't like it. I simply did not like it.
      I did not like the relationship in the least bit. This relationship was extremely unhealthy on all levels. The main character Megan comes across as a strong and independent character which I did allow, however she allowed this one man to basically take hold of her life. She says that she is attracted to him in every way, especially, but that is complete and under bull. Their attraction is mainly physical despite what they try to say.
      Their physical attraction was not enough for me to ship them at all. On the contrary it made me cringe a lot because so much of the focus of their relationship was physical. I skimmed through the sex scenes because they were so cheesy and territorial in an unhealthy.
      Megan had the potential for me to like her. She was a strong, female, African American character with strong feminist ideals. She was also super stupid and extremely fixated on men. I wanted to like her but in the end her faults outweighed her positive characteristics.
        The professor Megan fixated on, Nick, I never liked. I liked the fact that he is a minority (Asian) and that's about it. He was dumb to allow a relationship between them to occur and he was a very controlling figure and quite selfish. I never once really felt like his attraction towards her wasn't purely physical.
      Overall this New Adult book was not the book for me.
I was provided a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

Join the conversation!

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".