November 4, 2014

"The Blood of Olympus" Review


18705209

      Sorry that it has been forever since I have posted anything. School started up and it is my senior year of high school so I have to put my all into this first semester. Anyway, to the review!

Series: The Heroes of Olympus

Author: Rick Riordan

Format: Ebook

Publisher: Disney Hyperion (October 7, 2014)

Page Count: 502

My Rating: ★★★★★

Publisher: Though the Greek and Roman crewmembers of the Argo II have made progress in their many quests, they still seem no closer to defeating the earth mother, Gaea. Her giants have risen—all of them—and they're stronger than ever. They must be stopped before the Feast of Spes, when Gaea plans to have two demigods sacrificed in Athens. She needs their blood—the blood of Olympus—in order to wake.

The demigods are having more frequent visions of a terrible battle at Camp Half-Blood. The Roman legion from Camp Jupiter, led by Octavian, is almost within striking distance. Though it is tempting to take the Athena Parthenos to Athens to use as a secret weapon, the friends know that the huge statue belongs back on Long Island, where it "might" be able to stop a war between the two camps.

The Athena Parthenos will go west; the Argo II will go east. The gods, still suffering from multiple personality disorder, are useless. How can a handful of young demigods hope to persevere against Gaea's army of powerful giants? As dangerous as it is to head to Athens, they have no other option. They have sacrificed too much already. And if Gaea wakes, it is game over.

So this book... I just can't even. Percy Jackson has been a part of my life since elementary school and I can't believe it is all over. The only nonspoiler thing I can say about this book is that I am happy that everyone is happy and I am sad it is all over.
      THE REST OF THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS. IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THIS BOOK, GET A LIFE AND GO DO SO NOW!
      Starting off, the humor and sarcasm in this book was just so rich and enjoyable. I swear Uncle Rick is the sassiest man on Earth and he just shows it through his characters.
       So we start off with Jason's point of view, and I'm going to be perfectly honest, I'm not a big fan of Jason. He just, I don't know he doesn't sit well with me. He is like the new kid on the block that you don't want to befriend because you hate change. However, I did appreciate the humor he radiated in such a bad situation. When his mom's spirit appeared, I thought for sure he was going to screw everything up, but he didn't and I'm proud of him for that. When he got stabbed, I knew he wasn't going to die because Uncle Rick would never kill and character off so quickly in the beginning. And when Annabeth brought up Luke right after Jason was stabbed... I was just so overwhelmed by feels.
      After Jason's point of view we moved on to Reyna's. Reyna... before this book I hated her with every fiber of my being. But by the end of the book, I loved her so much for how she treated Nico and I respected her. While we are in Reyna's point of view, we learn about all the shit Octavian was up to. Now the only person I hated more than Reyna was Octavian. Seriously, I have never hated a character so much. He is so stupid and I was so damn happy when he died.
      We then moved on to Leo, my baby, one of my favorite characters. No matter what is going on with him, he always maintains such a light-hearted attitude and keeps a nice facade. And the sarcasm that he has is different from the other characters' and I really enjoy it. Leo also always receives the short end of the stick so when he turned out okay in the end, I was jumping for joy.
     On a side note, I loved the pop culture references like to Doctor Who and The Hunger Games. Got to love them.
      Next on the list of point of views was Nico. Nico... Nico is so precious to me. He has been through so much shit and I just love him. In Nico's chapters, Uncle Rick finally references Grover Underwood which made me happy because I wondered for the longest time where that kid went. When Nico brought up Cupid revealing Nico's gayness for Percy, my heart broke a little because it was very obvious that ship would never happen. I'm glad he ended up with Will in the end. Let me just tell you, I ship Will and Nico so much. The chemistry between them was perfect.
      Moving on to Piper... I don't like Piper. Even after reading this book I still don't like her. I have no idea why I don't like Piper, I just don't. Same with Annabeth; I could never get around to liking her. I think it is because when I was a lot younger reading the books, I had a massive crush on Percy, so Annabeth was basically ruining my fictitious ship with him.
      So the book alternated between these people's point of views and stuff happened. When Gaea was released, I was scared shitless, but I knew she wouldn't last long. The fact that the team knocked her and Octavian out at the same time made everything better. And when the gods and the demigods fought the giants together... I thought I was dreaming because it was so epic that I could not fathom that actually happening. At the end of the book, Percy had Annabeth, Hazel had Frank, Jason had Piper, Leo had Calypso, and Nico had Will. I was so happy because all of my people were happy.
      Now the end of the book... Excuse me, but what kind of end to the series was that? I love Leo and all and I'm happy for him, but that was such a cliffhanger ending. The fact that I will never know what happened after that kills me. Oh well, looks like I'll just have to go find some good fanfiction.

P.S. Sorry for my ramblings.      

Join the conversation!

Please leave a comment down below because I would love to hear your thoughts. To ensure you see my reply, make sure to click "Notify Me".